(This post contains some affiliate links. Thanks for your support.)
The Day of the Dead (El día de los muertos) is celebrated the first couple days of November each year. It is a very important cultural celebration in many of the Spanish speaking countries and communities in the United States. Many students are a little bit familiar with this holiday after the release of the hit movie ‘Coco’ by Disney.
We have compiled a list of books that you could use in your bilingual classroom or with your bilingual children to learn more about and explore this special holiday.
Below you will find a list of ‘Day of the Dead’ books for Kids:
1.The Day of the Dead / El Dia De Los Muertos: A Bilingual Celebration By Bob Barner
Learn about how two children celebrate the day of the dead and remember some of their ancestors.
2. Dia de Los Muertos. By Roseanne Greenfield Thong
Beautiful illustrations and shows how the townspeople are decorating and getting ready for the Day of the Dead.
3. Day of the Dead By Tony Johnston
A simple book about preparing for the day of the dead. Great you younger children.
4. La Catrina: Emotions – Emociones By Patty Rodriguez
Spanish Board Book great for you littlest readers to learn about emotions.
5. Gift For Abuelita / Un regalo para Abuelita: Celebrating the Day of the Dead/En celebracion del Dia de los Muertos By Nancy Luenn
A book about Mexican traditions for the ‘día de los muertos’ as she prepares a gift for her grandma. This book is bilingual.
6. I Remember Abuelito: A Day of the Dead Story / Yo Recuerdo a Abuelito: Un Cuento del Día de Los Muertos By Janice Levy
A story about a girl getting ready to celebrate the day of the dead and honor those that have passed away.
7. Día de los Muertos (Celebrate the World) By Hannah Eliot
Fun illustrations and simple story of how people honor their ancestors on the ‘día de los muertos’
8.Clatter Bash!: A Day of the Dead Celebration By Richard Keep
Book about how skeletons celebrate in the graveyard on the Day of the Dead.
9. The Dead Family Diaz By P.J. Bracegirdle
A story about Angelito not being excited to celebrate the day of the dead.
10. Coco: Miguel and the Grand Harmony By Matt de la Peña
Inspired by the story Coco, wonderful book and illustrations dare I say better than the movie.
11. Miguel and the Amazing Alebrijes By Roni Capin Rivera-Ashford
Book based on the Pixar film Coco.
12. The Remembering Day / El dia de los muertos By Pat Mora
A book about a girl and her grandmother and remembering those who have passed away.
13. Catrina’s day of the dead: El dia de muertos de Catrina By Adriana Morales Marin
Join Catrina as she celebrates her favorite day of the year ‘día de los muertos’.
14. Calavera Abecedario: A Day of the Dead Alphabet Book By Jeanette Winter
ABC Book of the Day of the Dead.
15. Uncle Monarch and the Day of the Dead By Judy Goldman
A story about how a family celebrates the Day of the Dead in the Mexican countryside and the connection to monarch butterflies.
16. Daniela’s Day of the Dead By Lisa Bullard
Book in English about how Daniela celebrates the Day of the Dead with her family.
17. Funny Bones: Posada and His Day of the Dead Calaveras By Duncan Tonatiuh
Story about fun calaveras.
Hopefully, you found this book list helpful. They would be great additions to your classroom library or Day of the Dead unit in your Spanish or Bilingual class. Did you miss one of your favorites? Let us know.